Infrared saunas for weight loss: fact or fiction?

Infrared Sauna For Weight Loss: Correlation Or Causation?

When it comes to weight loss management, the number of ‘quick fixes’ proposed are countless, making it hard to decipher what is fact and what is fiction. A commonly proposed solution is the use of infrared saunas for weight loss. At Sun Stream Infrared Saunas, we specialise in delivering therapeutically effective infrared saunas with high quality materials. With over 24 years of experience creating healthy and safe saunas for Australians, it’s safe to say that we stand behind the plentiful benefits of infrared saunas. Whether or not weight loss can be one of the side effects of regular saunas usage is highly contested. Join us as we take a deep dive into whether infrared saunas for weight loss are a matter of correlation, or causation.


Infrared Saunas: How Do They Work?

Unlike traditional steam saunas, where the air around you is heated to high temperatures, infrared saunas operate in a way that doesn’t heat the surrounding environment. Instead, approximately 80% of the heat is focused on your body, with the remaining 20% extending to the air around you. The heat in infrared saunas is generated by light from infrared panels, as opposed to steam.


Water Weight Loss 

It’s no secret that an infrared sauna heats your skin to high temperatures, most often around 40 degrees Celsius. As a result of this, the body temperature also rises, typically around 39 degrees Celsius. According to research, there is correlation between repeated use of dry saunas, and a change in body composition. More specifically, in a study where young males were exposed to a dry sauna for a total of 60 minutes, there was a significant reduction in body mass (on average, 0.65kg). It is believed that this change in body mass is largely attributed to loss of water weight, with factors such as time spent in the sauna, and the temperature at which the sauna operates affecting the extent to which water loss occurs.

Burn Calories 

Additionally, the infrared heat exposure from infrared saunas is believed to burn up to 600 calories, with approximately 450 grams of sweat being lost each session. Research suggests that individuals with higher body mass, and body fat tend to burn more calories during sauna sessions. 


Stress-Induced Weight Gain: How Infrared Saunas Can Help 

A hormone produced by your body’s adrenal glands, cortisol is naturally released during moments of high stress. Especially high cortisol levels can send your body into fight or flight mode, and hinder the efficiency of functions such as metabolism. It is believed that high cortisol levels can increase appetite, and coupled with a slower metabolism, can cause weight gain. 

Regular sauna use is linked to lower cortisol levels, which can in turn impact weight loss.


The Verdict

There is significant research to suggest repeated use of dry saunas can impact weight loss. 

Aside from weight loss, infrared saunas can be beneficial for mental health, pain management and conditions such as chronic fatigue. 


How We Can Help

Sun Stream infrared saunas offer safe, high quality saunas with 360 degree body coverage, and industry low electromagnetic field (EMF) and electric field (EF) heaters. 

Our Sun Stream range comes with a lifetime warranty, with free delivery offered to most metropolitan regions. Whether you’re after pricing enquiries, or an infrared sauna for your business, contact us today.