Over the past few years, the popularity of both Infrared saunas and red-light therapy has skyrocketed, captivating the health and wellness community. These innovative technologies harness the power of light and heat to offer a wide range of health benefits, from detoxification and relaxation in infrared saunas to skin rejuvenation and pain relief with red light therapy. As people increasingly look for ways to maintain good health in a toxic world, these treatments have become go-to options, providing a natural and holistic way to promote a healthier and more balanced you. In this blog, we will compare infrared saunas and red-light therapy, to discern whether they are competitors or complementary in promoting better health.
How do Far Infrared Saunas Work?
Far Infrared (FIR) Saunas utilize heater technology that emits radiant or far infrared heat to warm the body directly to induce a sweat, whereas traditional saunas rely solely on heating the air around you. Because Far Infrared Saunas heat your core body temperature without significantly raising the air temperature in the sauna cabin, it makes the experience more tolerable for many people.
Far infrared rays are part of the electromagnetic spectrum and have longer wavelengths than visible red light. Sun Stream Saunas uses nano-Carbon heaters that emit Far Infrared (FIR) with approximately 70% of the heaters output lying between 5 – 15 microns (5000nm – 15000nm) and approximately 90% of the output lying between 1 – 20 microns (1000nm – 20,000nm).
Some of the Infrared Sauna health benefits include:
- Detoxification: Sweating induced by far infrared saunas may help the body eliminate toxins, heavy metals, and harmful chemicals through the skin. A study titled “Arsenic, Cadmium, Lead, and Mercury in Sweat: A Systematic Review” published in the “Journal of Environmental and Public Health” in 2012 found that sweat induced by sauna sessions can help eliminate toxic heavy metals from the body
- Pain Relief: Far infrared heat can promote muscle relaxation and reduce joint and muscle pain for individuals with conditions like arthritis.
- Stress Reduction: Many people find the experience of using a Far Infrared Sauna to be relaxing and stress-reducing, potentially leading to improved mental well-being.
- Improved Cardiovascular Health: FIR saunas may enhance cardiovascular health by lowering blood pressure, improving circulation, and increasing the flexibility of blood vessels. These effects can contribute to a reduced risk of heart disease.
- Weight Management: Some studies have suggested that far infrared sauna sessions can help with weight loss by increasing metabolic rate and promoting calorie burning, though more research is needed in this area.
What is Red Light Therapy?
Red light therapy, also known as low-level laser therapy or photobiomodulation, operates on the principle of using specific wavelengths of visible red and invisible near-infrared light to stimulate healing and cellular rejuvenation in the body. When the skin is exposed to these wavelengths of light, it penetrates the skin’s surface and is absorbed by the mitochondria, the energy-producing powerhouses of our cells. This absorption triggers a series of biochemical reactions that enhance the production of adenosine triphosphate (ATP), the energy currency of cells. As a result, cells become more efficient at carrying out their functions,. The resulting health benefits associated with Red Light Therapy are supported by 1000’s of published studies. See below a very short list of potential health benefits:
- Pain Relief: Red light therapy can help reduce pain and inflammation by promoting the release of endorphins, the body’s natural painkillers.
- Skin Health: Red light therapy can improve skin health by reducing wrinkles and fine lines, and promote collagen production for a more youthful appearance. A study published in the “Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology” in 2018, titled “A Controlled Trial to Determine the Efficacy of Red and Near-Infrared Light Treatment in Patient Satisfaction, Reduction of Fine Lines, Wrinkles, Skin Roughness, and Intradermal Collagen Density Increase,” demonstrated the effectiveness of red light therapy in improving skin health.
- Wound Healing: Red light therapy accelerates the healing of wounds, cuts, and bruises by stimulating the production of skin cells and enhancing blood circulation.
- Muscle Recovery: Athletes and fitness enthusiasts often use red light therapy to speed up muscle recovery, reduce muscle soreness, and enhance overall performance.
- Joint Health: It can alleviate symptoms of arthritis and joint pain by reducing inflammation and promoting the repair of damaged tissues.
- Mood and Sleep: Red light therapy may have a positive impact on mood and sleep by regulating circadian rhythms and improving the production of serotonin, a neurotransmitter associated with well-being.
Are Infrared Saunas and Red Light Therapy Complimentary?
While Far Infrared Sauna and Red Light Therapy operate on different principles, they can be highly complementary in achieving your health and wellness goals. Here is how they complement each other:
- Detoxification Synergy: Far infrared saunas promote heavy sweating, which can aid in detoxification. Combining this with red light therapy can enhance detoxification further as it supports cellular repair and the removal of waste products.
- Pain Relief : Individuals suffering from chronic pain can benefit from the synergistic effects of both therapies. Far infrared saunas ease muscle tension and reduce pain, while red light therapy offers cellular-level healing and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Skin Rejuvenation: Far Infrared saunas can improve skin by increasing circulation and promoting detoxification, while red light therapy enhances collagen production and skin repair. Together, they provide a formidable approach to improving skin health.
- Stress Reduction: Far infrared saunas are known for their stress-reducing effects. Combining this with red light therapies potential to improve mood and mental health can create a powerful stress management strategy.
The Benefits of Infrared Sauna and Red Light Therapy are hard to ignore!
Whether you are a health conscious individual, an athlete or health practitioner, both far infrared Sauna and red light therapy are two distinct yet very complementary approaches that are well worth exploring. Both offer a wide range of health benefits, from detoxification and pain relief to improved skin health and overall wellbeing.
By understanding the key differences between these very popular therapies and recognizing their synergistic potential, people can incorporate both far infrared sauna and red light therapy into their wellness routines to achieve comprehensive and balanced health improvement.